17/11/2017

The disparity of finding pleasure in aesthetics

Aesthetics. Or more specifically, the disparity of finding pleasure in aesthetics.

Do we have to abide by the 'laws' of the aesthetics we find pleasing or are attracted to?
Or is it possible to entertain a certain aesthetic and celebrate only parts of it?

I personally find immense pleasure in certain aesthetics. I enjoy occult, gothic, witchy, dark, alternative, body modification, victorian and edo era aesthetics -among others.
However, even though I find visual -and sometimes auditory- pleasure in those aesthetics, I may not always identify with the ideology, beliefs and faith associated with them.

After all, I can entertain parts of the aesthetics that intrigue me, without necessarily having to embrace the whole aesthetic. 

For instance, even though I'm extremely interested in witchcraft and the witchy aesthetic, I do not believe in magick and its manifestation. I may even attempt to practice witchcraft to experience or to achieve a better understanding of it. Nevertheless, I do not have faith in it.

Does the fact that I am attracted to occult symbols mean they have to mean something to me, or that I have to believe in what they stand for? Or am I allowed to give them my own meanings, or even enjoy them as images deprived of any meaning?

I have tattoos of occult symbols and plan to get a few occult and witchcraft themed tattoos as well. To me they mean a lot on a personal level, and especially as symbols of femininity and feminism. But not as much as symbols of magick and witchcraft.

Does that make me a hypocrite because I'm not a believer, because I don't have faith in magick?

Many would say yes. And that's fine.

But to me, having a specific interest doesn't demand faith. 

If Lemmy (the late lead singer of Motorhead) could collect Nazi memorabilia without being considered a Nazi or a fascist, if he was allowed to have an interested without having to be associated with its ideology, why can't I do the same?

And I think I can. Whether it's witchcraft, gothic aesthetics, the edo era or anything else, as long as I am respectful and have an understanding of the aesthetic, its history and what it entails, I believe I'm far from being a hypocrite. 

(image source:https://weheartit.com/entry/165358841)

No comments:

Post a Comment