05/11/2017

I know your true face

In the past few days I keep stumbling upon pictures and posts featuring a certain person from the Greek alternative/queer community.

That person -and certain people they associate with- hurt very good friends of mine, and have even tried to hurt me, too.
I don't want people like that in my life of course, hence why, I cut off all ties years ago.
That person and other people that person has relations with are extremely spiteful, petty and mean. Like the 'Mean Girls' -but the alternative/queer version of that.

People like that are one of the reasons why I'm discouraged from ever attempting to be part of the Greek queer community and I just stand beside it as an ally, always keeping some sort of distance.
Unfortunately, too many negative incidents with people who are 'popular' in those circles have taken place, to allow me to feel comfortable in them.

Anyhow, I'd urge all of you to stop being dazzled by others' appearance and style. Look into their souls. Listen to their words. Observe their actions.

If someone keeps trashtalking about others in front of you, they most likely trashtalk about you behind your back as well.
And when trashtalking often entails remarks on one's body, race, sexuality etc. it's discrimination.

The fact that one may be part of one marginalised social group, doesn't mean they can't be discriminatory towards other marginalised social groups.

Unfortunately, the old saying 'Don't do to others what you don't want to be done to you' doesn't really hold any meaning for many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment