13/05/2017

Finding a safe space for the things you love

Anyone else who gets discouraged from certain things due to the people supporting them?
E.g. I was a member of a fb group for Atheists, and some people were such bullies, lgbt+phobic and misogynistic that I could not be a member anymore. And that put me off trying to find fellow Atheists online for good.
Another example is the anime community (especially online) which consists of a lot of bullies, ignorant bigots and misogynists. I'be had so many cyberbully me on anime websites and that put me off watching anime altogether...
Or for instance the rave/dnb scene or the tattoo scene... They're both filled with machismo, misogyny and sexism. Which of course put me off going to events relevant to either.
Even within feminist circles I have been attacked viciously -by feminists- and had to stop following most relevant pages and block certain people to protect myself.
I have yet to find a community/scene where I feel safe, comfortable and accepted.
And I wonder if I ever will...

No comments:

Post a Comment