20/07/2017

RIP Chester Bennington

I'm still in shock.
Today I found out Chester Bennington committed suicide.

For anyone who doesn't know who he is, Google Linkin Park and listen to some of their music.

Approximately 14 years ago I somehow discovered Linkin Park.

Some of their cds I had were authentic, some copies friends gave me.

I remember buying their Live album off Virgin Stores (it was a cd/dvd store chain in Greece). I remember going to the mall to buy it; I remember how excited I was I got it; and how disappointed I was that the guy I was dating at the time -who had borrowed it- "lost" the case and the dvd.

I remember being at school with my headphones on, listening to Linkin Park and being able to ignore the world.
I remember finally feeling I belonged somewhere; I was not alone. Someone got me.
I also felt encouraged to express myself more through my style, and started making bolder and darker choices. I was discovering my identity.
I remember as I grew older, grasping the meaning behind their lyrics under a whole different light. I was mesmerised as a lyricist, as an artist, by the pain contained in their lyrics and the strength one had to have to live with such demons, let alone expose them to the world.

It's sad that Chester couldn't handle his demons anymore. But I can understand.
Sometimes mental health gets the better of you.
He was battling for a long time.
I hope now, at least and at last, he can rest in peace.


Some of my favourite songs:

 











No comments:

Post a Comment