21/04/2017

Is mental illness a choice?!

A doctor told me the other day, there is new school of thought in the medical circles supporting that anxiety and depression are a choice. Subconscious, but still a choice.
Now, I would like to see him say that to a rape victim, a victim of war and a victim of chronic abuse.
Isn't that inconsiderate and insulting af?
Apart from that, there has been research showing anxiety and depression can be genetic and they may also develop due to certain chemical imbalances of the brain. Let alone that a person who goes through trauma can develop those and I'm sure they didn't choose to do so.
More than often, when I have conversations with medical professionals, I can't help but wonder two things:
1. How the fuck did you get your degree?
2. Why do you speak professionally on things that you have not studied? E.g. a GP speaking on mental health, heart disease, diet etc.
Seriously...



No comments:

Post a Comment