8/24/26

A rant on 'friendship'

I really don't understand some people.
A 'friend' stops responding to your messages, or responds with a huge delay (and not always).
They cancel almost every time you arrange to meet.
After a point, you also have to cancel due to illness.
But you suspect their cancelling wasn't due to illness.
They reappear in your messages with excuses and apologies after months, only to disappear again.
They don't remember birthdays and they don't ask about important events.
Basically, they don't know anything about your life in the past 4-5 years.
They don't even support your art or care for it at all.
Then, they have the audacity to claim you're good friends, and say they're so hurt because you don't consider them a friend anymore.
They cry that they will always consider you a friend.
They make a bleak attempt to meet you (telling you last minute, where and when it's convenient for them – per usual).
At last, and without any attempt for further communication, and despite you making an effort and messaging them once in a while to check in, they delete you from their social media account.

I honestly don't get this logic at all?
If you don't want me in your life for whatever reason, fine.
But don't try to pretend you care for me as a friend, pretend you're so hurt and try to guilt trip me for expressing the truth (that we're not friends anymore) only to delete me from your social media account after sometime?

When I wrote the above, I was rather emotional and had just discovered my 'friend's' action. Now, a few days have passed. I feel more at peace. That person wasn't a real friend; at least not according to how I perceive friendship. It makes no difference that they deleted me, because well, they haven't been in my life for years. I think it's a good thing we're not connected in any way anymore, not even via the superficial social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment